Residence credit is defined as credit earned in courses offered by New Paltz full-time or adjunct professors. Twenty-four semester hours of graduate study normally constitute the minimum residence credit requirement for graduate degrees.

A matriculated graduate student may transfer up to nine* (9) credits if:

  • The course was taken at the graduate level at an accredited institution.
  • ​A grade of B or better was earned in the course.
  • The course may be no older than seven years.
  • Graduate credits taken while an undergraduate may be transferred if the credits were not used to fulfill undergraduate degree requirements.

For transfer credits to be posted to the New Paltz transcript, these conditions must be met. The Office of Graduate & Extended Learning requires an official copy of the transcript, the course must be listed on an approved Plan of Study (or amended Plan of Study) and a New Paltz equivalent course must be assigned by the department. The Graduate Credit Transfer Request form may be downloaded from our website at:

Graduate Credits Taken While An Undergraduate At New Paltz, But Not Required For The Undergraduate Degree

On the recommendation of the department and with the approval of the Assistant Vice President for Graduate & Extended Learning,  up to nine* (9) transfer credits may be applied to the degree providing that the course adheres to the conditions noted above.

* Some departments may accept fewer than nine (9) credits in transfer.