NOTE: Matriculated graduate students must pay the graduate tuition rate for all courses regardless of the course level.
The most current tuition and fee rates, along with information about payment and payment arrangements, can be found on the web at: www.newpaltz.edu/student_accounts
Full-Time Status Defined
Full-time status for matriculated graduate students is not set by the Office of Graduate & Extended Learning. The full-time classification may be met in different ways depending upon the reason a student is seeking this classification.
For Financial Aid Eligibility
Full-time status is defined as being registered for 12 or more credits. The total number of credits regardless of level is used when determining whether a student is full-time. Therefore, a matriculated graduate student may take a mixture of undergraduate and graduate courses and still be considered full-time if he/she is registered for at least 12 credits.
For Matriculated Students
The College will consider the following categories as full-time enrollment :
- Student is registered for at least 12 credits per semester.
- Full-time GSEU TAs & GAs working 20-hours/week and registered for at least 6 credits per semester.
- Half-time GSEU TAs & GAs working 10-hours/week and registered for at least 9 credits per semester.
- Student has completed all coursework and is registered for H-grade thesis and one credit of continued registration in the current semester.
- Domestic student has completed all coursework and is registered for a zero credit comprehensive exam workshop.
- Student is taking 6 credits per summer session.
NOTE: Although the College may consider these students full-time working toward a degree, they may not meet Financial Aid's eligibility requirements for full-time status. Check with Financial Aid about this matter.
For International Students
The Center for International Programs will consider the following categories as full-time for SEVIS :
- Computer Science and Electrical Engineering majors who are registered for at least 9 credits per semester
- All other graduate majors who are registered for at least 12 credits per semester
- Full-time GSEU TAs and GAs who are working 20-hours/week and registered for at least 6 credits per semester
- Half-time GSEU TAs and GAs who are working 10-hours/week and registered for at least 9 credits per semester
Graduate Opportunity Tuition Waiver Program (GOPW)
To be eligible for the Graduate Opportunity Program Tuition Waiver (GOPW) program, the College considers a graduate student who is registered for at least 9 graduate credits per semester full-time. However, these students are not considered full-time for financial aid eligibility.