The State University of New York at New Paltz is approved as a degree-granting institution by the Trustees of the State University of New York and the Regents of New York State.
The SUNY College at New Paltz is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education (MSCHE), 1007 North Orange Street, 4th Floor, MB #166, Wilmington, DE 19801 (267-284-5011) www.msche.org. The MSCHE is an institutional accrediting agency recognized by the U.S. Secretary of Education and the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA).
Visit our Middle States Accreditation Status website for more information.
SUNY New Paltz possesses full and current accreditation from the following institutional accrediting agencies recognized for this purpose:
- Association for Advancing Quality in Educator Preparation (AAQEP), P.O. Box 7511, Fairfax Station, VA 22039; phone: 301-276-5106. AAQEP accredits programs that prepare professional educators (including teachers, school leaders and administrators, and other education-related personnel) and that lead to recognized degrees at the bachelor’s, post-baccalaureate, or master’s level and/or to recognized post-degree professional certificates or endorsements, across the United States and its territories and dependencies.
- National Association of Schools of Art and Design (NASAD), 11250 Roger Bacon Drive, Suite 21, Reston, VA 20190-5248; phone: 703-437-0700
- National Association of Schools of Music (NASM), 11250 Roger Bacon Drive, Suite 21, Reston, VA 20190-5248; phone: 703-437-0700
- National Association of Schools of Theatre (NAST), 11250 Roger Bacon Drive, Suite 21, Reston, VA 20190-5248; phone: 703-437-0700
In addition, programmatic accreditation or certification and approval of curricula has been granted as follows:
- School of Business programs are accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB) International.
- The Chemistry curriculum is certified by the American Chemical Society (ACS).
- The Computer, Electrical and Mechanical Engineering programs are accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET, http://www.abet.org.
- The M.S. Clinical Mental Health Counseling and M.S. School Counseling programs are accredited by the Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP), a specialized accrediting body recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA).
- The M.S. Music Therapy program is approved by the American Music Therapy Association (AMTA).
- The Master of Science (M.S.) education program in speech-language pathology (Department of Communication Disorders) is accredited by the Council on Academic Accreditation in Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology of the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association, 2200 Research Boulevard #310, Rockville, MD, 20850, 800-498-2071 or 301-296-5700.
- The Center for Student Success is certified by the College Reading and Learning Association (CRLA).
- Association of American Colleges & Universities (AAC&U)
- American Association of State Colleges and Universities (AASCU)
- American College & University Presidents' Climate Commitment (ACUPCC)
In addition, the Haggerty English Language Program is a member of University and College Intensive English Programs (UCIEP).