Comprehensive exams or another form of culminating assessment is required for most graduate programs. Students should consult their adviser or department chair regarding the details of specific programmatic assessments. Students who fail their comprehensive examination may petition the department for permission to take it a second time. The petitioner must outline what additional study is planned to prepare for the second attempt. In some cases, students may not repeat the examination earlier than one calendar year after the first attempt. Failure of the examination on the second attempt results in the forfeiture of matriculation.