Students matriculated for undergraduate degrees who have discontinued their attendance at the College for any reason (except those students on an approved, unexpired Leave of Absence) must submit an application for readmission to the Office of Undergraduate Admission.
Former students who believe they graduated but did not because of course deficiencies and/or failure to submit the proper graduation paperwork must apply for readmission.
Important Note: Prior enrollment as a matriculated student does not constitute automatic readmission nor does it guarantee entrance into the original major or fulfillment of any college-wide graduation requirements.
Who is Eligible to Reapply?
- Students who have attended New Paltz for at least one semester.
- Students who have fulfilled all previous financial/judicial/health obligations to the College. (All holds must be resolved prior to applying for readmission.)
- Students must be in good overall academic standing (minimum 2.0 GPA). However, this does not guarantee entrance into either the College or a major.
- Students who have not attended the College for two consecutive semesters for any reason (except those granted a leave of absence).
- Students who have been out one full year from the time of academic dismissal1.
To be considered for readmission, it is required that academically dismissed students successfully complete at least 12 credits of academic course work with at least a 2.75 GPA at another institution.
- The application fee is $50 and non-refundable and non-transferable to another semester should the student not attend the semester they have been accepted to.
- Students must apply directly to a major. The undeclared/undecided category is not an option.
- If the student attended New Paltz under a different last name, please indicate that previous name on all documents submitted.
- Students must submit directly to the Office of Undergraduate Admission official transcripts of all college work taken since leaving New Paltz.
Important Note: If more than five (5) years has transpired since the student’s last attendance at New Paltz, the student must submit original educational documents as the College does not retain the educational records of non-graduates beyond five (5) years. If the student entered as a freshman, these would be the high school transcript and SAT/ACT scores; if the student entered as a transfer, it would be all previous college transcripts.
All required documents must be received in the Office of Undergraduate Admission by these dates:
- Fall: April 11
- Spring: November 11
There is no summer readmission.
The College reserves the right to alter due dates without prior notice.
Important Information for Art, Art Education, Music, and Theatre Arts Readmission Applicants
You must submit a new portfolio or participate in a new audition/interview in order to be considered for readmission. Contact the appropriate department for details.
The Readmission Decision
- All readmission decisions are made by the academic department to which the student has applied.
- Each application is evaluated according to the specific admission criteria in place at the time of application.
- All decisions are final.
- The Office of Undergraduate Admission will notify the student by email of the readmission decision.
- The readmission decision is only valid for the semester applied to. The decision cannot be deferred.
Academic Consequences of Readmission
Students in Good Academic Standing
A student who has been separated for 3 years (6 consecutive semesters) or less may be admitted to the same major plan of study, degree program and General Education program in effect at the time of their separation from the College. However:
- If major requirements have changed since the student’s separation, the original plan of study may no longer be available. In some cases, amending the original plan of study is possible at the discretion of the appropriate department chair. If amendment is not possible, the student must declare a new major.
- If the original major is no longer offered, the student must declare a new major.
- If degree requirements have changed, exceptions and waivers may be made by the appropriate academic dean.
A student who has been separated for more than 3 years (6 consecutive semesters) must meet all of the major, degree and General Education requirements in effect at the time of readmission. Exceptions may be made at the discretion of the appropriate academic dean.
Students who readmit to a new major will complete the major requirements in place at the time of readmission.
Academically Dismissed Students
Readmitted students are matriculated under the current catalog at the time of readmission and are, therefore, responsible for all College, SUNY, and academic major requirements in effect at the time of readmission.
- Students academically dismissed for a second time are not eligible for readmission.
- The College does not honor any requests for back dating of transcripts or diplomas.
- Readmission is required for all non-graduates regardless of the number of credits believed to be lacking in order to receive the undergraduate degree.
For more information about readmission, please visit the Office of Undergraduate Admission's website.
Policy approved: Council of Deans, Spring 2009
Procedural updates entered August 2019