A grade of Incomplete ("I") is awarded at the discretion of the instructor and only when the student:

  • has successfully completed at least three-quarters of the required work for a course;
  • is prevented from completing the remaining work due to a personal emergency;
  • formally requests an Incomplete (“I”) by following the procedure outlined in this policy.

Keep in mind: Having obligations to make up a grade of Incomplete while carrying a full load of new courses can be almost like carrying an extra course. There are good and legitimate reasons for students to ask for and for faculty members to grant Incomplete grades, but the requests should be considered carefully by all involved. Students should not register again for the same course.

Before requesting a grade of Incomplete, students should discuss with the instructor exactly what work remains to be completed. An agreement in writing will protect the student, should the course instructor be unavailable when the incomplete work is due.

The maximum time allowed for completing the required course work is the mid-point of the following semester, though the faculty member may require completion prior to that point. (Refer to the Academic Calendar for the semester’s mid-point date.)

To confirm the student’s completion of the assigned work and replace the “I” grade, the instructor must submit a Grade Change Form. Otherwise, the student's grade will automatically change to an "F" if the student is registered for that semester.

Extension request: The instructor may, at the student's request, extend the completion deadline up to one additional semester by submitting an updated Grade Change Form. Records & Registration must receive the updated webform before the mid-point of the semester in which the incomplete work was originally due.

  • The instructor may select a new deadline no later than the mid-point of the next semester.
  • If the instructor does not specify a new deadline, an automatic extension to the end of the current semester will result (e.g., work originally due at the fall mid-point will be due at the end of the fall semester). In this situation, a second and final extension to the mid-point of the next semester is possible, by student request and with instructor submission of an updated Grade Change webform.

No extensions beyond the mid-point of the next semester will be granted. Failure to complete the work by that deadline will result in the student's grade automatically changing to an "F" if the student is registered for courses that semester.

Permanent Incomplete (I*): Students may not graduate with an Incomplete (I) on their record. There is one exception to this rule. A student with an Incomplete in a course that is (a) taken in the student’s last semester at New Paltz and (b) not needed to fulfill any college, curriculum, major, or minor requirement may request a “permanent Incomplete” (I*). The request must be made in writing to the Office of Records & Registration. If granted, the permanent Incomplete can never be changed, but students may graduate with such a grade on their record.

Procedure for Requesting an Incomplete Grade

Reflects policy changes effective fall 2021; process updated 7/17/18, 1/31/19, 9/15/20.