Leave of absence is permission to be away from the college temporarily, whether it is for medical, financial or personal reasons, including study at another educational institution. Students must file a Leave of Absence form with the Office of Records & Registration (WH 115), which will process the request. Students may be on leave for up to two consecutive semesters. Please visit Records & Registration's website for information on how to initiate and return from a leave of absence.

Students who plan to take courses elsewhere during their leave must consult their academic advisor prior to leaving. Please refer to the Post-Matriculation Registration Procedure for more information.

Students who do not return after two semesters of separation will be automatically withdrawn from the university and will need to apply for readmission if they wish to return. (For more information about readmission, visit the Office of Undergraduate Admission's website.)

Additional Information about Leave of Absence and Withdrawal

If a student requests a leave of absence or withdrawal from the College before the end of the second week of classes, the student will be deregistered without transcript notation. If the leave of absence or college withdrawal occurs after the second week of classes, the student will be withdrawn from all in-progress courses and a W will be listed on the transcript.

Students may request a leave or withdrawal until the last day of classes. (The exact deadline appears in the Academic Calendar for each semester.) Students who stop attending class(es) are considered "unofficially withdrawn" and will receive grades of F*.  If this happens in all classes for the semester and they do not submit an official Leave of Absence or Withdrawal from College form, the student will be considered on an unofficial Leave of Absence.

Leave of absence and withdrawal may affect students' financial obligations. Please contact the Office of Student Accounts with questions about liability (e.g., tuition, fees, room and board) and aid. The tuition refund policy may also be of interest.