New Paltz course numbers consist of three letters followed by three numbers. The letters represent the department or program that offers the course; the numbers signify the course level. Students who have earned fewer than 30 credits are restricted to 100- and 200-level courses, except with the instructor's permission.
- 0-99: Open to students requiring developmental support (non-credit learning).
- 100 level (100-199): Open to all undergraduate students.
- 200 level (200-299): Open to all undergraduate students.
- 300 level (300-399): Open to sophomores, juniors and seniors.
- 400 level (400-499): Open to sophomores, juniors and seniors.
- 500 level (500-599) and above: Open to graduate students. Qualified seniors may enroll in certain graduate courses with permission.