Who is a visiting student and in what may they enroll?

  • Undergraduate students who are matriculated at another college and wish to take courses at SUNY New Paltz during the regular academic year are considered visiting students.
  • Visiting students remain matriculated at their home institution and are considered non-matriculated students at SUNY New Paltz.
  • Visiting students may take courses based upon availability and sometimes require specific departments' permission to enroll.
  • Visiting students are prohibited from enrolling in internship, fieldwork or practicum courses.
  • Visiting students may take up to one academic year of courses at SUNY New Paltz.

General visiting student criteria:

  • You must have a minimum 2.0 GPA at your home institution for consideration.
  • You must not be on academic probation, academic warning or academic suspension at your home institution.
  • You must not be on disciplinary probation or suspension at your home institution.

Required Application Documentation

  • Your application must be signed by your advisor (from your home institution) indicating approval of all courses in which you wish to enroll at SUNY New Paltz and providing signed proof of your good academic and disciplinary standing.
  • Submit an unofficial or official transcript from your home institution.

Application and Required Documents Due Date(s)

  • Fall and Spring - The complete application must be received and approved prior to the date for non-matriculated and visiting students noted in the Academic Calendar.
  • Winter and Summer Sessions - SUNY New Paltz does not process visiting student applications for the winter and summer sessions as those sessions are open to the general public, provided certain basic requirements and course prerequisites are met.

SUNY New Paltz reserves the right to change application due dates without notice.

Approval, Registration and Financial Aid

Your application will be received by Records & Registration. If the application is incomplete, its processing will be delayed.

You will be notified of the enrollment decision by email.

If your application is approved:

  • You will receive login information for the my.newpaltz.edu student portal.
  • You may register for courses, on a space-available basis, only during the registration period for non-matriculated and visiting students noted on the Academic Calendar.
  • You must document, by transcript, that you have met any and all course prerequisites and will need electronic permission to register for courses with restrictions.
  • Upon course registration, you will receive an invoice from the Office of Student Accounts with a payment due date. Failure to abide by this date will result in course de-registration.
  • If you are receiving financial aid (including loans) from your home institution, you are responsible for making arrangements with your home institution to ensure the continuation of financial aid.

Please note: Since non-matriculated and visiting students are the last cohort to be registered, it is possible that there will not be available seats once registration is processed. Please plan accordingly.

Other Important Information

  • Visiting students may enroll in courses for a maximum of two semesters. After two semesters they must apply for transfer admission.
  • Visiting students must attain a minimum 2.0 GPA or they will be ineligible to register for further courses at SUNY New Paltz.
  • On-campus housing is not available.

Study Abroad Program

  • Students who are matriculated at another institution and wish to participate in the SUNY New Paltz Study Abroad program are considered visiting students.
  • Study Abroad applications can be found at New Paltz Study Abroad.