Students must file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) each year as soon as possible after January 1. Although parents’ information may be required, it is the student’s responsibility to complete all application requirements for all aid programs. NOTE: Students must be sure to indicate “SUNY-College at New Paltz” in the college release section of the FAFSA, code # 002846.

The FAFSA is the form used to apply for Federal Pell Grants, Federal Stafford Loans, and the three “Campus-Based” programs. They are Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants, Federal Perkins Loan, and Federal College Work-Study Program. For more graduate student information, access the Student Financial Services website at 

Graduate Students

Financial aid is available to matriculated graduate students who are enrolled at least half-time. Graduate students usually receive Stafford loans. Alternative loans are available as well.

Student Employment

The College also offers part-time employment to students enrolled at the College. There are no income requirements; however, to be considered, students should visit the Office of Student Financial Services for an information packet. Temporary service information is also available on the college web site.

New Paltz Time Payment Plan

The New Paltz Time Payment Plan allows you to make equal monthly payments toward the cost of tuition, fees, and on-campus room and board. By utilizing the Time Payment Plan, you and your family can incorporate the cost of college into the family budget for up to five months. This is not a loan. There is no interest charged. There are no hidden costs. Just add the $30.00 application fee to your first installment. Even if you are receiving scholarships or some financial aid, you may enroll in the Time Payment Plan. It is an easy way to pay the balance of your bill NOT covered by aid or other resources. As long as the amount due from you exceeds $500 for the semester we will accept a Time Payment Plan for the balance. Enroll online at