Students must file an application for their graduate degree or advanced certificate with the Office of Records & Registration (Wooster Hall 115) the semester prior to graduation. Students may apply online via

To obtain their degree, students must complete the courses in their program of study, including “incomplete" courses. Students should be advised that substitutions (course changes) require the written permission of the program adviser and the Associate Provost and Dean of Graduate, Professional & Interdisciplinary Studies.

Upon completion of Education programs, SUNY New Paltz will recommend candidates to the State Education Department for certification. It is the responsibility of the State Education Department to issue the appropriate administrative credential or advice concerning initial/professional certification.