Early Childhood Special Education (Birth – Grade 2) (060E)
Barbara Chorzempa, coordinator, (845) 257-2851, email@example.com
Applicants with NYS Initial Certification in Early Childhood Education (B-2) will complete 36 credit hours of course work. Upon successful completion of the program, teacher candidates are eligible for NYS Education Department initial certification in Early Childhood Special Education B-2.
- Evidence of initial certification in Early Childhood Education (B-2).
- One official transcript of all undergraduate and graduate work providing evidence of a baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution with at least a 3.0 cumulative grade point average on a 4.0 scale.
- Satisfactory performance on Graduate Record Exam (GRE).
- Describe your personal and professional experience that led you to apply to the New Paltz Special Education program. How do you see the New Paltz Special Education program helping you advance toward your professional goals? The response should be 300- 400 words in length. The special education faculty will examine the writing sample with respect to content, clarity and organization of ideas, grammar, and style.
- Three letters of professional recommendation written on professional letterhead.
All letters must:
- Be dated and current;
- Address how long the writer has known you and in what capacity;
- Two letters should be written by faculty with whom you have taken a college level class. These letters of reference should address your academic performance and your ability to successfully complete a rigorous graduate program in Special Education. We prefer that these letters come from full-time faculty at a college or university.
- One letter should be written by one of the following individuals: a student teaching supervisor, a cooperating teacher, an administrator in a school, or a supervisor in an agency that is related to education. This letter of reference should address your ability to work with young children.
|April 1||Fall and Summer Admission|
|November 1||Spring Admission|
The Early Childhood Special Education program consists of 36 credit hours, 33 credit hours are core courses and 3 credit hours are electives.
|Required Courses (33 Credits)|
|SPE700||Educating Special Learners||5|
|SPE701||Educational Assessment of Learners with Disabilities||5|
|SPE702||Teaching Math, Science and Technology in Inclusive Classrooms||3|
|or EED716||Science, Math, and Engineering for Young Children|
|SPE703||Research in Special Education||3|
|SPE731||Literacy and Social Studies Inst. for Childhood Learners w/Disabilities||5|
|SPE732||Learning Environments for Childhood Learners with Disabilities||3|
|SPE753||Practicum in Early Childhood Special Education||6|
|SPE798||Young Children with Disabilities||3|
|Elective Courses (3 Credits)|
|Select 3 credits of Electives in Diversity||3|
- Complete the prescribed course work and other requirements within five years after matriculation.
- Maintain a cumulative grade point average of 3.0 or better, with no more than two grades below B-.
- This program is field-based. As a result, a significant amount of your teacher preparation program will be conducted in the professional field under supervision with students and cooperating teachers. The required practicum is offered during the spring and fall. Summer practicum is available to those meeting certain criteria. This is important to consider in planning your program since working in the field demands that you have time available to spend in schools, clinics, and classrooms. This may necessitate an adjustment of your daily schedule. You must have a 3.0 average in graduate courses and no more than two courses with a B- in order to enroll in the practicum course, SPE753 .
- Deadlines for practicum application forms are available in the Educational Studies Office, Old Main Building 108.
- Certification Exam
- In order for SUNY New Paltz to recommend a student for certification you must pass the Students with Disabilities Content Specialty Test.