Second Language Education (Non-Certification) (064)
Beth Clark-Gareca, Graduate Coordinator, (845) 257-2856
This 36 credit program leads to an MSEd in Second Language Education and offers a non-certification track for students interested in developing their knowledge and skills in teaching second language acquisition in a variety of professional spaces outside of NYS P-12 schools.
- One official transcript of all undergraduate and graduate course work; the baccalaureate transcript should be from a regionally accredited institution with a minimum 3.0 cumulative grade point average in the major, and a 3.0 cumulative GPA overall. Candidates must have completed a baccalaureate degree with a concentration in one of the liberal arts or sciences.
- An admission essay demonstrating experience and/or interest in working with culturally and linguistically diverse students.
- Satisfactory GRE scores.
- Satisfactory completion of twelve semester hours of study of a language other than English. All courses must be conducted in the target language.
- Three letters of recommendation.
- For international students, a minimum score of 90 on the internet-based TOEFL exam.
|Term One: Fall 1 (13 Credits)|
|SED573||Teaching English as a New Language I||3|
|SED507||Fieldwork I Second Language Education||1|
|EED581||Foundations of Bilingual/Bicultural Education||3|
|SED578||Second Language Learning||3|
|SED577||Applied Linguistics for Teachers of English as a New Language (ENL)||3|
|Term Two: Spring 1 (13 Credits)|
|SED576||Teaching English as a New Language II||3|
|SED509||Fieldwork II Second Language Education||1|
|SED575||Teaching Literacy in English as a New Language||3|
|SED580||English Grammar for Teachers of English as a New Language (ENL)||3|
|SED560||Technology in the Classroom||3|
|Term Three: Fall 2 (10 Credits)|
|SPE565||Teaching in Inclusive Classrooms||3|
|SED525||Digital Literacies and Learning in Secondary Education||1|
|SED701||Inquiry into Teaching, Learning, and School: Part I||3|
- File a “plan of study” during the first semester after matriculation.
- Any deficiencies in the candidate’s previous training shall be removed by early advisement with the Second Language Education program advisor.
- Completion of prescribed course work and other requirements within five years after matriculation.
- Maintain a cumulative grade point average of 3.0 or better with no more than two grades below B-.