The Department of Music at SUNY New Paltz offers a master’s degree in Music Therapy. Music Therapy applicants pursue a program of study leading to candidacy for licensure as a creative arts therapist (LCAT) through the New York State Education Department Office of the Professions. Following completion of the 48-credit degree in Music Therapy, students must pass a professional licensing examination and complete 1500 clock hours of supervised clinical experience in order to qualify for Licensure as a Creative Arts Therapist in New York State.
- One official transcript of all undergraduate and graduate work providing evidence of a baccalaureate degree in music (60 credits in music) from an accredited institution with at least a 3.0 cumulative grade point average on a 4.0 scale
- Undergraduate preparation should include the following courses: music therapy, methods and materials, psychology of music, practicum and a statistics course.
- Admissions essay in response to the following prompts:
- Describe what has influenced your decision to study music therapy. Consider the impact of your life experiences and challenges and how you handled them.
- Describe your relationship to music.
- Contact information for three references
- A video (or link to a video) demonstrating their musical skills.
The video should contain the following examples:
- Two musical compositions demonstrating musical skill. These can be on any instrument of the applicants choosing. They can be vocal or instrumental.
- Interview & music skills assessment with music therapy faculty.
During the music skills assessment applicants will be asked to:
- Demonstrate the ability to sing and accompany themselves on piano (2 songs)
- Demonstrate the ability to sing and accompany themselves on guitar (2 songs)
- Demonstrate musical skill by performing 2 songs of the applicants choosing
- Music Theory Placement Test (sent to applicants after their interview)
- Evidence of Music Therapy Board Certification (if applicable)
Deadlines for application to the Music Therapy master’s program can be obtained by contacting the Music Department at (845) 257-2700 or by visiting the Music Department’s website at http://www.newpaltz.edu/music/
|Music Therapy Coursework (31 Credits)|
|MUS540||Foundations of Music Therapy||3|
|MUS542||Music in Counseling||3|
|MUS543||Music Therapy for Older Adults||3|
|MUS544||Medical Music Therapy Assessment and Treatment||3|
|MUS545||Music Therapy in Special Education||3|
|MUS742||Music Therapy Research and Program Evaluation||3|
|MUS745||Music Therapy Internship I||3|
|MUS746||Music Therapy Internship II||3|
|Music Coursework (11 Credits)|
|MUS541||Repertoire in Therapy||3|
|MUS546||Improvisation for Therapy||3|
|MUS547||Advanced Guitar for Therapists and Educators||3|
|MUS548||Music Therapy Ensemble||2|
|Counselor Education (6 Credits)|
|COU575||Human Growth and Development||3|
Complete the prescribed course work and other requirements within five years after matriculation. Maintain a cumulative grade point average of 3.0 or better, with no more than two grades below B-.
You will be informed of your academic advisor and his/her office hours when you are accepted into the Music Therapy program. You should make an appointment immediately with your advisor to develop a comprehensive plan of study.
The comprehensive plan of study developed by you and your academic advisor officially outlines your degree requirements and eligibility for licensure as a creative arts therapist. Any changes in this plan of study will require prior approval from your academic advisor. Your academic advisor is available to assist you throughout your study and will serve as your guide during the program. It is important to maintain continuous communication with your academic advisor in order to facilitate your progress in the program.
With the approval of your academic advisor and the Assistant Vice President of the Graduate & Extended Learning Office, students can transfer up to 9 graduate credits. However, credits cannot be transferred after the Plan of Study is approved.
Please note: Courses taken prior to acceptance into the Music Therapy program may not be fully credited on your plan of study, even if taken at SUNY New Paltz.
Registering for Courses
Be sure to pre-register for your courses as outlined in the Plan of Study. You must meet with your advisor to discuss course work each semester. Pre-registration for the spring semester occurs in November and pre-registration for the summer and fall semesters occurs in April.
Change of Name and/or Address
Please notify the Music Department Office and the Records and Registration Office immediately if your name changes and/or if your address, telephone and/or email address changes.
The Music Therapy program consists of 48 credit hours for students with baccalaureate degrees in Music Therapy or the MT-BC. Students with other degrees in music must complete 15 credits of undergraduate work in Music Therapy and meet competencies in sight reading, voice, and piano and guitar accompaniment.
Course work in music therapy is designed to offer sequential learning experiences that will develop clinical competencies for work as a Licensed Creative Arts Therapist. You should take these courses in the sequence suggested by your academic advisor.