|Arthur Gould, (845) 257-2958, email@example.com
|Students must complete the program within 6 years.
|Hybrid or Online
|NYSED Certification in School Building Leader & School District Leader
The CAS in School Leadership is designed to prepare caring, critical, and reflective professionals to succeed as school leaders. The program leads to professional NYS certification as a School Building Leader and School District Leader and has been updated to better serve working teachers and other educational professionals.
- One official copy of all undergraduate and graduate course work; both the baccalaureate and master’s transcripts should be from regionally accredited institutions with a minimum 3.0 cumulative grade point average at the graduate level.
- A valid permanent/professional New York State teaching certificate.
- Three letters of recommendation from practicing school administrators.
- Proof from the school district of at least three years of teaching experience prior to graduation.
- An essay that addresses the Professional Standards for Educational Leaders
- A completed graduate application.
Curriculum Requirements (401A)
(Master’s degree + 30 credits)
|Master’s degree (30 Credits)
|Upon matriculation, work with your advisor to identify and transfer up to 30 credits from master's degree.
|Required Courses (9 Credits)
|Educational Supervision and Accountability
|Administrative Theory and Practice
|Education Law & Policy Implementation
|Select 5 Elective Courses: (0 Credits)
|Administrative Leadership and School Organization
|Current Issues in Educational Administration
|Finance and Revenue Management
|Ed Admin Selected Topic
|Indep Study Ed Admin
|Internship in Educational Administration (0 Credits)
|Internship in Educational Administration and Supervision
|Internship In Educational Administration and Supervision II
- File a “plan of study” with your assigned advisor within 90 days after matriculation. Matriculation must be completed prior to completing 6 credits.
- Complete prescribed course work and other requirements within five years of matriculation.
- Maintain a cumulative grade point average of 3.0 or better, with no more than two grades below B-.
- Complete an approved Child Abuse Seminar.
- Complete an approved S.A.V.E. Seminar (Those who take EDA775 will have satisfied the state’s requirements.)
- Passing of appropriate State Education Department leadership exam(s).
Upon completion of the CAS program, the College will recommend the candidate to the State Education Department for certification. The State Education Department grants certificates in September and February for those who apply through New Paltz.
SBL/SDL Intern: Students must complete the three core courses and one additional administrative elective course (under advisement) before applying for the Internship.
All students applying for an Internship must submit the Internship Proposal Application to the department by the posted deadline (May 1st for Fall Semester Internship; December 1st for Spring Semester Internship). For inquiries concerning the Internship Proposal Application, contact your advisor. Prospective intern candidates will be notified by the Intern Coordinator regarding deficiencies or acceptance.
Resolve any pending admission conditions (outlined in your acceptance letter) and/or missing documents if applicable.
Review your progress report via my.newpaltz.edu to ensure that you have completed all program requirements.
Remember that only two grades below a B- may be applied to your plan of study
Contact your advisor if you need to amend your plan or process transfer credit.
Ensure that you are in good academic standing with a GPA (Grade Point Average) of 3.0 or higher.
Pass your capstone or culminating assessment.
Complete your degree within the specified time limit outlined in the Program Overview.
Program Learning Outcomes
School Leadership (MSEd)
The MSED in School Leadership has not accepted new students since 2016 or 2017. There has been no enrollment in this program since Fall 2019. It is still on the books with NYSED because it is required to be there according to our CAS in School Leadership and CAS School Business Leadership programs.