|Program Coordinator||Arthur Gould, (845) 257-2958, email@example.com|
|Program Length||Program can be completed in 1-2 semesters if enrolled full-time, but students must complete program within 6 years|
|Modality||Hybrid or Online|
|Licensure/Certification||NYSED Certification in School Building Leader & School District Leader|
The CAS in School Leadership is designed to prepare caring, critical, and reflective professionals to succeed as school leaders. The program leads to professional NYS certification as a School Building Leader and School District Leader and has been updated to better serve working teachers and other educational professionals.
- One official copy of all undergraduate and graduate course work; both the baccalaureate and master’s transcripts should be from regionally accredited institutions with a minimum 3.0 cumulative grade point average at the graduate level.
- A valid permanent/professional New York State teaching certificate.
- Three letters of recommendation from practicing school administrators.
- Proof from the school district of at least three years of teaching experience prior to graduation.
- An essay that addresses the Professional Standards for Educational Leaders
- A completed graduate application.
Curriculum Requirements (401A)
(Master’s degree + 30 credits)
|Master’s degree (30 Credits)|
|Upon matriculation, work with your advisor to identify and transfer up to 30 credits from master's degree.||30|
|Required Courses (9 Credits)|
|EDA763||Educational Supervision and Accountability||3|
|EDA772||Administrative Theory and Practice||3|
|EDA775||New York State Education Law and Policy Implementation||3|
|Select 5 Elective Courses: (0 Credits)||15|
|Administrative Leadership and School Organization|
|Current Issues in Educational Administration|
|Finance and Revenue Management|
|Curriculum Development for Administrators|
|Ed Admin Selected Topic|
|Indep Study Ed Admin|
|Internship in Educational Administration (0 Credits)||6|
|Internship in Educational Administration and Supervision|
|Internship In Educational Administration and Supervision II|
- File a “plan of study” with your assigned advisor within 90 days after matriculation. Matriculation must be completed prior to completing 6 credits.
- Complete prescribed course work and other requirements within five years of matriculation.
- Maintain a cumulative grade point average of 3.0 or better, with no more than two grades below B-.
- Complete an approved Child Abuse Seminar.
- Complete an approved S.A.V.E. Seminar (Those who take EDA775 will have satisfied the state’s requirements.)
- Passing of appropriate State Education Department leadership exam(s).
Upon completion of the CAS program, the College will recommend the candidate to the State Education Department for certification. The State Education Department grants certificates in September and February for those who apply through New Paltz.
SBL/SDL Intern: Students must complete the three core courses and one additional administrative elective course (under advisement) before applying for the Internship.
All students applying for an Internship must submit the Internship Proposal Application to the department by the posted deadline (May 1st for Fall Semester Internship; December 1st for Spring Semester Internship). For inquiries concerning the Internship Proposal Application, contact your advisor. Prospective intern candidates will be notified by the Intern Coordinator regarding deficiencies or acceptance.