The CAS in School Business Leadership consists of 24 credit hours of school business courses and a six-credit supervised internship in school business. Students complete three core courses as well as specific business courses customized for the school district business leader candidate. Candidates will also have to pass the State Education Department school district business leadership exam prior to being recommended for certification.
- One official copy of all undergraduate and graduate course work; both the baccalaureate and master’s transcripts should be from regionally accredited institutions with a minimum 3.0 cumulative grade point average at the graduate level.
- Three letters of recommendation from practicing school administrators, of which one must be from a district superintendent or CEO.
- An essay that addresses the Professional Standards for Educational Leaders
- A completed graduate application.
CAS in School Business Leadership (major 402A)
NOTE: CAS School Leadership alumni may transfer in up to 15 credits of prior educational administration coursework including 3 credits of internship.
|Master's Degree (30 Credits)|
|Upon matriculation, work with your advisor to identify and transfer up to 30 credits from master's degree.||30|
|Required Courses (9 Credits)|
|EDA763||Educational Supervision and Accountability||3|
|EDA772||Administrative Theory and Practice||3|
|EDA775||New York State Education Law and Policy Implementation||3|
|Elective Courses (15 Credits)|
|Working with your Advisor, select fifteen credits of elective coursework.||15|
|Public School Accounting|
|Public School Budgeting|
|Administrative Leadership and School Organization|
|Current Issues in Educational Administration|
|Human Resource Management for Administrators|
|Finance and Revenue Management|
|Curriculum Development for Administrators|
|Capstone Experience (6 Credits)|
|Working with your Advisor, complete 6 credits of SDBL Internship coursework||6|
- Review your progress report with your assigned advisor within 90 days after matriculation.
- Complete prescribed course work and other requirements within five years of matriculation.
- Maintain a cumulative grade point average of 3.0 or better, with no more than two grades below B-.
- Complete required workshops and trainings for NYS Certification
- Passing of appropriate State Education Department leadership exam(s).
Upon completion of the CAS program and passing of SED exam(s), the College will recommend the candidate to the State Education Department for certification. The State Education Department grants certificates in September and February for those who apply through New Paltz.
SDBL Intern: Students must complete the three core courses and one additional administrative elective course (under advisement) before applying for the Internship.
All students applying for an Internship must submit the Internship Proposal Application to the department by the posted deadline (May 1st for Fall Semester Internship; December 1st for Spring Semester Internship). For inquiries concerning the Internship Proposal Application, contact your advisor. Prospective intern candidates will be notified by the Intern Coordinator regarding deficiencies or acceptance.