The Five-Year Master Plan is a pathway to earning two powerful credentials, a Bachelor of Arts (BA) degree and a Master of Arts (MA) degree, in just five years. The BA/MA program in English is designed to provide a clear path for New Paltz students majoring in English Liberal Arts or Creative Writing to complete the MA degree in one year. Students in this program begin taking graduate courses during the senior year earning ten credits of graduate course work by the time they complete their BA degree. They are then able to complete the MA degree requirements by enrolling in ten credits during the subsequent fall and spring terms.
How does it work?
QUALIFY for early admission as junior majoring in English or Creative Writing by earning a 3.5 GPA in English courses and completing ENG 300 Seminar in Critical Practices.
APPLY online to the BA/MA program in English (major 204M) during the junior year via the Graduate Studies section of my.newpaltz.edu.
UPLOAD a personal statement explaining interest in the 4+1 program, a writing sample of no longer than 10 pages, contact information for two references (one of which must be from the English Department), and an unofficial transcript.
GET AHEAD by completing ten credits of graduate course work during the senior year and enjoy a tuition savings of $175/credit.
COMPLETE the MA degree program requirements in just one year.
During the junior year, students should meet with Professor Mulready to prepare for their graduate application:
- Log into my.newpaltz.edu and select “Apply Now!” under the “Graduate Studies” section.
- Select the fall term when you would like to begin your graduate coursework and major code (204M).
NOTE: this program only admits for the fall term.
- Select “4+1 BA/MA English Program” as the intended curriculum.
Upload Checklist Items
To expedite a faculty review of an application, students may upload the following items:
- Personal statement explaining your interest in the 4+1 program in English
- Writing sample of no more than 10 pages in length
- Contact information for two references (one of which must be from the English Department)
- Student copies of transcripts* from every college/university attended
- Full admission REQUIRES the submission of official transcripts and test scores.
Check Your Application Status
- Check your application status via my.newpaltz.edu by selecting “View Application” under the “Graduate Studies” section.
Upon admission to the BA/MA program in English, the student's undergraduate major code will be updated to 522G to reflect admission to the BA/MA Program in English. And, a new progress report will become available via my.newpaltz.edu reflecting 10 credits of graduate courses from the MA English plan below.
|ENG 551 Academic Writing Seminar||1|
|ENG 552 Advanced Research Methods||1|
|ENG 553 Career Seminar||1|
|or ENG574||Studies in Shakespeare|
|TWO courses in Literature BEFORE 1800||6|
|THREE courses in Literature AFTER 1800||9|
|ONE course in Literary Criticism and Theory with advisor approval: ENG 550, ENG 555, or ENG 585||3|
|Select TWO electives with approval from advisor||6|