The mission of the Office of Student Financial Services is to provide aid and advisory services to students and families seeking resources to achieve educational goals and to support the College's recruitment, enrollment, and retention objectives while maintaining regulatory compliance. Additional information can be found on Student Financial Services' website.

Contact Information

Campus Location: Wooster Hall 124
Phone: (845) 257-3250
Fax: (845) 257-3568

To submit financial aid documentation, please fax information to 845-257-3568, or scan documents and e-mail to

Mailing Address:

State University of New York at New Paltz
Office of Student Financial Services
200 Hawk Drive
New Paltz, NY 12561-2437

How to Apply for Financial Aid

  1. Create a Federal Student Aid (FSA) ID: The FSA ID is used to access several websites for Federal Student Aid and acts as an electronic signature. First-time filers, and at least one parent in the household for dependent students, should create an FSA ID. Create an account at The FSA ID is confidential and should not be shared with anyone.
  2. Complete the FAFSA: Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at (Refer to Dependency Status to determine if you are a dependent student or an independent student.) Students should complete the FAFSA as close as possible to October 1, preferably no later than March 1, to have the best chance to receive all financial aid funding available at SUNY New Paltz. Remember to include SUNY New Paltz as one of your school selections (Federal Code 002846). After completion of the FAFSA, a confirmation email from FAFSA will be sent so you can review the results and make any changes, if needed. Contact the Federal Student Aid Information Center at 800-433-3243 with questions regarding the FAFSA.
  3. Complete the TAP/NYS Student Aid Payment Application: New York State residents have the opportunity to apply for the Tuition Assistance Program (TAP). After completing the FAFSA, select the link to the state aid application on the FAFSA Confirmation page. If you miss this link, complete the TAP application directly through Higher Education Services Corporation (HESC). The SUNY New Paltz School Code is 0925. Contact HESC at 888-697-4372 with questions regarding NYS grants and scholarships.
  4. Apply for the Excelsior Scholarship (first-time Excelsior applicants only): New York State residents can learn more about this scholarship opportunity including program requirements, application deadlines, and guidelines for maintaining this scholarship at HESC's Excelsior web page. The Excelsior Scholarship application typically becomes available for new applicants in mid-spring for the fall semester. The best way to keep informed about application availability and deadlines is to sign up for email alerts on the HESC website.
  5. Review Financial Aid Eligibility Notification: The Office of Student Financial Services will begin notifying prospective students of their estimated financial aid eligibility in mid-February. Students with a completed FAFSA application, with all requested documentation submitted and processed, will begin receiving their actual Financial Aid Packages by email after the deposit deadline in early May. Financial Aid can be accepted/declined on the student’s account.

Students and/or parents planning to apply for Federal Direct Loans will need to complete applicable loan requirements at before a loan can disburse.

Students will be notified via their New Paltz e-mail account if they need to submit additional documents before financial aid determination can be made.


  • Apply for financial aid early.
  • Use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool when completing the FAFSA to pull accurate tax data directly from your tax return into your FAFSA.
  • Be sure to file the correct FAFSA for the correct academic year.
  • Contact a Financial Aid Administrator if you have unusual circumstances.
  • Check your New Paltz e-mail account – all important communications are e-mailed there.
  • Organize your financial aid materials. Remember, you will need to use the FSA ID in subsequent years.
  • Keep your local and permanent address up-to-date on your account.
  • Eligibility for federal aid is determined by the results of the submitted FAFSA.

Stay on track! Refer to our Financial Aid Checklist to see what's next for financial aid.

General Eligibility Criteria

Basic requirements for Title lV aid: 

  • Be enrolled at least half-time (except for Pell in some cases)
  • Be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen
  • Have a valid social security number
  • Maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress
  • Do not be in default of any loan or owe repayment on a Federal Grant
  • Register with Selective Service (ending for the 2021-2022 year)
  • Demonstrate financial need (if applicable)
  • Have a high school diploma or equivalent
  • Be accepted into a degree-granting or approved certificate program

2021-2022 Verification

Verification is the process of comparing the information reported on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) with information on your tax returns and other financial documents and making corrections as necessary. The College uses the verification process to check for accuracy of FAFSA data. The purpose is to reduce error rates in applicant-reported data and to ensure eligible applicants receive the correct amount of financial assistance. It is a requirement under federal financial aid regulations.

The Federal Central Processing Center (CPS) selects financial aid applicants for verification and targets the verification of error-prone data items. When using FAFSA online, students and the parents of dependent students who indicate they already completed federal income tax returns are eligible to retrieve income data directly from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) with the IRS Data Retrieval tool. This time-saving process allows eligible financial aid applicants and the parents of dependent students to access their IRS tax record and to retrieve, directly from the IRS, certain data and information from income tax returns and to automatically transfer that information to the FAFSA application. The College may also select an applicant if there appears to be conflicting or inconsistent information on the application.

See 2021-2022 Verification for more information about the process, including required documentation and links to verification resources.

Types of Aid

Student Loans

Undergraduate Federal Student Loans

  • Eligibility: Matriculated undergraduates must file the FAFSA to qualify for federal student loans, also known as subsidized and/or unsubsidized Loans. Undergraduates must be enrolled for 6 credits or more per semester to be eligible and must be making satisfactory academic progress towards their degree. Note that non-matriculated students are not eligible for loans.
  • Requirements: First-time borrowers are required to complete a Master Promissory Note (MPN) and Entrance Counseling on the Federal website Login using your FSA ID to complete both requirements.
  • Yearly Loan Amounts for Dependent Undergraduates
  1. 0-29 credits: $5,500 (no more than $3,500 of this amount may be subsidized)
  2. 30-59 credits: $6,500 (no more than $4,500 of this amount may be subsidized)
  3. 60+ credits: $7,500 (no more than $5,500 of this amount may be subsidized)
  4. Aggregate total of $31,000 (no more than $23,000 of this amount may be subsidized)
  • Yearly Loan Amounts for Independent Undergraduates (or dependent students with a Parent PLUS denial)
  1. 0-29 credits: $9,500 (no more than $3,500 of this amount may be subsidized)
  2. 30-59 credits: $10,500 (no more than $4,500 of this amount may be subsidized)
  3. 60+ credits: $12,500 (no more than $5,500 of this amount may be subsidized)
  4. Aggregate total of $57,500 (no more than $23,000 of this amount may be subsidized)
  • Loan Fees & Rates: The 2021-2022 interest rates for subsidized and unsubsidized loans1 effective July 1, 2021 is 3.73%. The origination fee is 1.057%. Origination fees are taken out of the loan before dispersal.
  • Repayment: Repayment begins 6 months after the student graduates or falls below half-time. Standard repayment is ten years. Important: If you have any questions about federal loan repayment, do not hesitate to contact your servicer. They have been contracted by the Department of Education to help you! You can ask them questions about the varying payment plans, interest, etc. Also, if you are having a hard time making your payments after graduation, you'll want to contact them to discuss it. There may be options for you so that you can avoid ruining your credit with late or skipped loan payments.

For more information on repayment and repayment plans, please visit the Federal Student Aid site.

Alternative/Private Student Loans

Alternative student loans (also known as “private loans”) are educational loans obtained from various financial institutions. The federal government does not guarantee them and interest generally begins to accrue from the date of disbursement. It's important to know that you cannot consolidate federal and private loans together. Alternative loans usually require a co-signer unless the student applicant can prove substantial income and credit-worthiness. The student may borrow up to the cost of education less all other financial aid received. The student cannot borrow more than the cost of attendance regardless of the amount the lender has approved.

To ensure the integrity of the student aid process and ethical conduct of employees in regard to student loan practices, SUNY New Paltz aid officers do not recommend lenders.

  • Applying for an alternative loan
  1. You may apply from any lender of your choice. Due to the large number of lenders with various terms and rates, students are encouraged to carefully review, compare and contact lenders with any questions.
  2. After completing your loan application, your lender will review the application and complete a credit check. You may also be required to complete a self-certification form that discloses important information regarding the terms of your private loan.
  3. The lender will send SUNY New Paltz a request for certification of your eligibility status.
  4. SUNY New Paltz will certify the loan request from the lender. You will then be able to see the loan as part of your revised aid package on your account.
  5. The lender will issue final approval for the loan.
  6. Upon receipt, the funds will be applied to the student’s account and any remaining credit balance refunded to the student. The entire application process can take approximately 4-6 weeks.

An Alternative Student Loan can help students who have a past due balance. This includes students who

  1. Have an existing balance to pay for an enrollment period within the past 365 days.
  2. Are taking one or just a few classes or attending less than half-time.
  3. Are seeking a professional certification or enrolled in a continuing education program.
  4. Are a U.S. citizen enrolled in a foreign institution or study abroad program.
  5. Are a non-U.S. citizen student, including Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) students, attending a school located in the U.S. with a credit-worthy cosigner (who is a U.S. citizen or U.S. permanent resident).

Need a loan to help pay for college? Compare Federal and Private Student Loans!

Parent Loans

The student's biological parent (or, in some instances, step-parent) can apply for a Federal Direct Parent PLUS Loan. To do so, the parent borrower must complete the PLUS Loan Application. An application must be completed each year for which a parent wishes to borrow a PLUS Loan.

Upon submission of the PLUS application, a credit check will be performed. A parent must not have adverse credit history to qualify for the PLUS Loan. The parent borrower will choose to begin payments 60 days after the final disbursement for the academic year or defer repayment until 6 months after the student graduates or falls below 6 credits of enrollment.

Upon approval of the PLUS Loan, a first-time borrower will be directed to complete the Master Promissory Note (MPN). The PLUS Loan interest rate is fixed and origination fee is 4.228% (for loans disbursed through 9/30/2021). The projected interest rate for the 2021-2022 year is 6.28%; however, the rate had not been officially released by the time of catalog publication.

Interest begins to accrue after the loan disburses to the student’s account. The PLUS Loan will disburse in equal amounts split between fall and spring semester unless otherwise noted on application. The maximum PLUS Loan eligibility for an academic year is the Cost of Attendance less other student aid as detailed in the student’s financial aid package. If the Parent Loan credit check is denied, the applicant can appeal or add an endorser. If the Parent Loan is denied, the student can email and request additional federal direct unsubsidized loan (increase of up to $4,000 annually for first- and second-year students and up to $5,000 annually in years 3 and beyond). If you need assistance with any part of the Parent Loan application process, please contact the Applicant Services Department at (800) 557-7394.


If you have filed the appropriate application, you will be automatically packaged with any of the below-mentioned grants that you are eligible for.

Pell Grant

The Federal Pell program provides assistance in the form of a grant to matriculated undergraduate students who have not earned a prior undergraduate degree. Pell eligibility is determined by the Expected Family Contribution (EFC) calculated from the information provided on the FAFSA. The 2021-2022 awards range from $672 to $6,495 for full-time enrollment for two semesters. The amount of the Pell Grant may be prorated based on a student's enrollment status. Students may not receive Pell Grant funds from more than one school at a time.

Students who are eligible for a refund from the Pell Grant may make arrangements with the Office of Student Accounts for a credit (Hawk Dollars) for the purchase of books.

All students are limited to receiving Pell for a maximum equivalent of twelve full-time semesters or six years, inclusive of any prior years. View the details of the regulations here: Pell Grant Lifetime Eligibility.

Pell-eligible students whose parent or guardian died as a result of military service in Iraq or Afghanistan after September 11, 2001 will receive the maximum award amount for the year. You must be under 24 years old and enrolled at least part-time at the time of your parent's or guardian's death.

  • Year-Round Pell: Students may be eligible to receive up to 150 percent of their Scheduled Award for an award year. This provision is called "Year-Round Pell" because it allows students to receive additional Pell funds, often in summer terms. For example, let's say a student receives a Pell Grant of $5,000 ($2,500 each semester). If enrolled for Summer Session, that student is eligible to receive up to $2,500 in additional Pell funds for the summer term. Note that students who are eligible for Year-Round Pell awards are still subject to normal Pell Grant duration of eligibility and LEU (Lifetime Eligibility Used) limits.
  • Pell Recalculation Rate: Federal Guidelines require Title lV-eligible institutions to set a Pell Recalculation Policy. The Office of Student Financial Services sets a Pell Recalculation Date (PRD) for each semester. The PRD is the date upon which the student incurs full tuition liability.  On the established PRD, a student’s Pell Grant eligibility is locked for the semester based on their enrollment status as of that date. Generally, any changes in enrollment status after the PRD will not increase or decrease a Pell award.

Please Note:

  • Students who withdraw from college may be subject to a recalculation of all federal aid based on the amount of time attended.
  • Students adding additional courses late in the semester will not be eligible for an increased Pell Grant if the coursework is added after the PRD.
  • Federal regulations require recalculation of Pell eligibility if the student fails to begin attendance in any coursework used to calculate a Pell Grant. even if it occurs after the PRD.

TAP (Tuition Assistance Program)

TAP is a New York State grant entitlement program for residents of the State. Applicants must be enrolled in at least 12 credits per semester and matriculated in an approved New York State post-secondary program. Awards range from $500 to $5,165 for undergraduates. A FAFSA must be filed first in order to receive the TAP application link online. The TAP application is also used to apply for other New York State grant programs and scholarship awards.

Visit the HESC website for additional information on TAP.

  • Estimated TAP Grant: There are several reasons why your award package may include an estimated TAP grant rather than an actual grant amount. Estimated TAP grants indicate that action is required on your part. For more information. visit or call (888) NYS-HESC.

STEM Incentive Program

The NYS STEM Incentive Program provides a full SUNY or CUNY tuition scholarship for the top 10 percent of students in each New York State high school if they pursue a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) degree in an associate’s or bachelor’s degree program and agree to work in a STEM field in New York State for five (5) years after graduation. View our SUNY STEM flyer.

Note that all NYS STEM award monies received shall convert to a 10-year student loan plus interest for recipients who fail to meet the statutory, regulatory, contractual, administrative or other requirements of this program.

More information on this program and how to apply can be found at HESC.

APTS (New York State Aid for Part-Time Study)

APTS is a New York State tuition-assistance program for matriculated undergraduate students enrolled in 3 to 11 credits per semester. Applicants need to complete and submit the APTS application with a signed copy of their prior year New York State tax return.

Visit HESC for more APTS information.

FSEOG (Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Program Grant)

This federal grant is awarded by the college to matriculated undergraduate students with exceptional need. It is a campus-based program, and the awards may range from $100 to $4,000 per year, depending on funding and the expected family contribution (EFC). A student may receive FSEOG for the period required to complete a first baccalaureate degree. The FAFSA is used to apply.

EOP Grant (Educational Opportunity Program)

EOP is a grant program for New York State residents who are admitted to the college through the Educational Opportunity Program at the beginning of their post-secondary study. Students must be full-time matriculated undergraduates. Awards are based on need and may range up to $2,800 per year. The FAFSA is used to apply.

For more information, see Educational Opportunity Program on the Office of Undergraduate Admission's website.

Out-of-State Grants

Students who are from a state other than New York or who are considered out-of-state residents should check with their state higher education agency for sources of information about grants and financial assistance that may be available to them.

Senator José Peralta New York State DREAM Act

Miscellaneous NYS Grants and Scholarships


New York State Excelsior Scholarship Program

The New York State Excelsior Scholarship is a state-funded scholarship program designed to support full-time undergraduate students from working and middle-income households who are on track for on-time degree completion.

The Excelsior Scholarship is administered by Higher Education Services Corporation (HESC). Visit HESC's website for Excelsior Scholarship Program Information and Excelsior Scholarship Frequently Asked Questions.

Freshman and Transfer Student Scholarships

Many students receive scholarships and awards from their local communities and are encouraged to research private scholarships on the web.

Although the College does not have a substantial merit-based program, it does participate on a limited basis with school districts that may have local "Dollars for Scholars" chapters, which are coordinated through high school guidance departments. Upon acceptance to the College, any limited available merit awards would be offered by the Office of Undergraduate Admission. There is no separate application.

Please note that the Office of Student Financial Services only awards Federal- and State-regulated grant, work and loan programs based upon the FAFSA.

Currently Enrolled Student Scholarships

Each year continuing students are invited to apply for institutional scholarships funded by the College Foundation. These scholarships are based solely on a student’s involvement and achievements while enrolled at SUNY New Paltz.

Students can apply for scholarships for the upcoming school year now!  Learn more about available scholarships and how to apply at Academic Works.

Private Scholarships

We encourage students to seek outside resources in addition to the Foundation Scholarships. Visit our Private Scholarships page for information and useful search engine tips.

View our Exploring Scholarship Opportunities Presentation.

Work Study

Students whose financial aid package for 2021-2022 included a Federal Work Study award receive an email in mid-August with instructions on how to apply for jobs for the new school year.

The following resources will guide 2021-2022 Work Study students through the online application and hiring process:

  1. Hiring instructions
  2. Required hiring forms and information (note the additional resources also available on the linked page)
  3. This Student Employment page for New Paltz, where students review and apply for a Work Study position

To gain access to Work Study job listings, students must have been awarded Work Study in their financial aid package. (To check, students log into their account, select "Money," then select "My Financial Aid.") Students who have not been awarded Work Study in their financial aid package are not permitted to find a Work Study job.

A Work Study award is not a guarantee of a job. Positions are limited. Students are limited to only one work study position. Work Study allows students the potential to earn a specified sum of money by turning in biweekly time sheets for the hours that they have worked. Note that Federal Work Study will not be awarded for the sole purpose of helping students become eligible for additional government benefits, such as Food Stamps.

For non-Work Study student employment alternatives, see the Payroll Office's Student Employment page and/or Student Financial Services' Off-Campus Jobs page.

Non-resident and Undocumented Students

Visit the linked web page to find resources related to immigration, federal and state financial aid, and scholarships.

Winter Financial Aid

Financial aid is not offered specifically for winter session;, however, winter session charges can be included in a matriculated student’s cost of attendance. This may allow for additional loan eligibility for the academic year. Winter session enrollment can also be added to spring enrollment to determine federal grant eligibility. For example, if a student is registered for 3 credits for winter and 9 credits for spring, the federal Pell Grant for the combined enrollment period will be determined based on 12 credits. A student who is already registered full time for the spring semester will not receive any additional grants. If a student qualifies for additional funds due to winter session enrollment, they will be disbursed with scheduled spring semester disbursements.

Initiate eligibility review by completing the Winter Aid Request Form. The form will be available in November on the Office of Student Financial Services Forms Page.

Keeping Your Aid

Federal Financial Aid Attendance Requirement

Federal regulations require that students receiving Title IV aid (Pell, SEOG, Federal Work Study, Student Loans and PLUS Loans) begin attendance in each course for which they are registered. This requirement pertains to both seated and online courses. Each semester, after the add/drop period, instructors will confirm attendance or non-attendance of each registered student at the Enrollment Census Date, which is published in the Academic Calendar. Students who have not begun attendance in the courses for which they are registered will have their federal financial aid revised based on the number of credits the student actually attended. Financial aid funds that have been disbursed may need to be returned and may require repayment.

Students will still be responsible for tuition and fees for courses they registered for and did not drop, even though the cost cannot be covered by financial aid due to non-attendance.

Drug Convictions

Under the Higher Education Act, a student may become ineligible for federal student aid upon conviction of any offense involving the possession or sale of illegal drugs while receiving Title IV federal financial aid. Federal aid includes Federal Direct Loans, Federal PLUS Loans, Federal Graduate PLUS Loans, Federal Pell Grants, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (FSEOG), and Federal Work Study. To learn more, see Drug Convictions and Financial Aid Eligibility.

Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP): Federal Title IV SAP Policy

You must make Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) in order to maintain your Federal Financial Aid eligibility.

Federal regulations mandate that colleges and universities review students’ academic records at least annually to ensure that students are making adequate progress toward degree completion to maintain eligibility for Federal Title IV financial aid funds. Title IV funds include Direct Loans (student and parent loans), Pell Grant, FSEOG grant, and Federal Work Study. Minimum academic standards for meeting Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) requirements are outlined below. Students must meet both the qualitative and quantitative standards to retain their federal aid eligibility. The SAP review is performed annually at the end of the spring semester. SAP standards apply to all students wishing to be considered for federal financial aid regardless of whether or not aid was received in prior semesters. Students who fail to meet SAP standards are considered ineligible to receive any federal financial aid funds until they have successfully gone through the appeal process and been placed on Financial Aid Probation (see below), or until they are able to meet the standards at a subsequent review point.

Qualitative Requirements (GPA)

The cumulative GPA for undergraduate students must be at least 2.0 after two academic years (or 4 semesters) of attendance. Prior to the end of the fourth semester, the student must have a GPA and academic standing sufficient to meet the College’s standard for continued enrollment as a matriculated student in good standing as defined by the College Academic Standards Committee. GPA requirements are listed in this catalog under Academic Policies: Academic Warning, Probation and Dismissal. If granted academic appeal or probation, students must still meet the ‘Pace’ requirement (see Quantitative Requirements below). Only credit hours successfully completed with a passing grade will count as completed credit hours. The following grades are not included in the GPA calculation: AU, H, I, NG, P, S, U, W.

The cumulative GPA for graduate students must be at least 3.0 as outlined in the Graduate Catalog under Academic Policies and Procedures: Academic "Good Standing."

Quantitative Requirements (Pace)

Undergraduate students must complete a percentage of credits attempted each year as shown on the following academic progress chart. Transfer credits accepted by the College and applied to the New Paltz degree are considered to be both attempted and completed credits for this purpose. The following are considered to be attempted credits, but are not considered to be successfully completed: F, H, I, U, W.

Undergraduate Academic Progress Chart

If attempted credits are in this rangeThen the following % of graduation credits must be completed 1
Over 180Ineligible

Federal aid recipients must demonstrate continued progress towards degree requirements to ensure that they will complete the program within the maximum time frame. Students generally may attempt up to 150% of the credits required to complete the degree requirements. Once the maximum time frame has been reached, the student becomes ineligible for further federal financial aid. If at any point a determination is made that a student will not be able to meet their degree requirements within 150% of the program length, or graduate with the required GPA, they become immediately ineligible for federal financial aid. For examples, see Student Financial Services' Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) page.

Repeated Coursework

All repeated courses are included in the quantitative and maximum time frame components of the SAP review. Inclusion in the qualitative component of the review process is based on the academic grading policy defined in the college catalog. Only courses taken at SUNY New Paltz will count towards the GPA calculation. Only one repeated course can be funded with federal financial aid once a passing grade for a course has been achieved.

More information about repeat coursework appears below.


Credits for courses with a grade of W will be counted as attempted credits, but not credits earned in determining federal SAP.  Receiving a W grade will impact pace as outlined in the Undergraduate Academic Progress Chart since the course will count as attempted credits, but not earned.

More information about withdrawal appears below.

Remedial and ESL Coursework

Non-credit remedial and ESL courses will not be counted as attempted or earned credits in determining federal SAP and are not included in the student’s GPA calculation.

Incomplete Grades

Credits for courses with grades of Incomplete will count toward credits attempted but not count toward credits earned. If an ‘Incomplete’ grade is changed to a ‘passing’ grade by the midpoint of the subsequent semester, the credits may then count towards credits earned and be included in the GPA calculation.

Transfer Credits

Transfer credits accepted by SUNY New Paltz and applied toward the New Paltz degree are considered to be attempted and completed credits in determining federal SAP. Only grades for courses taken at SUNY New Paltz are included in the GPA measure.

Change of Major/Double Major

Students may change or add majors prior to degree completion; however, all attempted credits in all degree programs are included in maximum time frame calculations.

Maximum Pell Grant Semesters

Students may receive a maximum of 12 full-time (or full-time equivalent) semesters of Pell Grant awards. This includes all Pell Grants received at all schools attended. Usage rates may be viewed at

Maximum Subsidized Loan Semesters

Students may receive a maximum of 12 full-time (or full-time equivalent) semesters of Federal Direct Subsidized Loan. This calculation includes all subsidized loans received at all schools attended. Usage rates may be viewed at

Degree Completion

Students may only receive federal financial aid for courses which are required for degree completion. Students enrolled in credits beyond the number required for the degree or enrolled in courses that are not applicable to a degree requirement will have financial aid adjusted accordingly. A student who has completed all coursework required for a major or degree is ineligible even if a degree application has not been filed or the student has not exceeded the maximum time frame allowed (150%).

Federal financial aid eligibility will be terminated when the Office of Student Financial Services determines it is not mathematically possible for a student to complete his/her degree program within the maximum time frame.

All graduate programs must be completed within 7 years, unless a shorter time is designated for a program in the Graduate Catalog.

SAP Status Notification

SAP calculations are performed after the spring semester has concluded. Students will receive an electronic notification beginning in June as FAFSAs are received. SAP status is also posted on Students may reestablish their eligibility for federal financial aid through the appeal process or by improving their academic record to meet the SAP standards.

SAP Appeal Process

Students who have not exceeded their maximum time frame may submit an appeal application to the Office of Student Financial Services if they feel there were extenuating circumstances beyond their control that affected their ability to make academic progress. The appeal process only pertains to federal financial aid eligibility, not general academic standing or New York State aid programs. Filing an appeal does not guarantee reinstatement of financial aid. Reasons for appeal may include a death in the student’s immediate family, serious injury or illness, or other mitigating circumstances beyond the student’s control. Students can view the SAP Appeal Process/Request instructions and form. The written appeal must specify what has changed that will allow the student to be successful moving forward. Please note that the Office of Student Financial Services will generally allow a maximum of two appeals. These appeals must indicate separate and distinct circumstances to be considered.  A third appeal may be considered in some cases in light of extraordinary circumstances, such as the current national emergency related to the pandemic. SAP appeals are to be submitted before the start of the semester in order to determine financial aid status for the semester. Students submitting a SAP Appeal after semester bills are due will need to make payment arrangements with the Office of Student Accounts, as financial aid will be removed from the account and reinstatement is not guaranteed. The semester deadline for appeals will be two weeks prior to the last day of class. Retroactive appeals will not be accepted. Appeals submitted without supporting documents will not be considered. Appeals should be submitted to:

Office of Student Financial Services
200 Hawk Drive, Wooster Hall 124
New Paltz, NY 12561
Fax: (845) 257-3568 

SAP Appeal Determination

Upon review by the SAP Appeals Committee, a determination will be communicated electronically to the student within approximately 15 business days of receipt of the completed appeal form. All committee decisions are final and cannot be appealed further. Determined SAP status will also be posted on in the 'My Financial Aid' section under 'Eligibility/Academic Progress.'

Appeal Approved/Probation

If an appeal is approved, the student will be eligible for federal financial aid for the following semester and will be placed on Financial Aid Probation.  All students on probation will be assigned a SAP Financial Aid Probation Plan. This plan will outline the standards that the student must meet in order to maintain federal financial aid eligibility. The standard SAP Financial Aid Probation Plan requires completion of 67% of credits attempted with a 2.0 GPA. Customized SAP Financial Aid Probation Plans may be different and may extend beyond one semester. Progress will be reviewed after the semester ends to determine if the student met the requirements of their plan for continued eligibility. Students who have not met the terms and conditions of their plan while on probation will be ineligible for federal financial aid for the remainder of the academic year. Appeals are only valid for courses taken at New Paltz and are not retroactive.

Appeal Denied

If the appeal is denied the student will not be eligible for federal financial aid for the academic year. Their SAP status will then be re-evaluated after the spring semester per the annual schedule.

Repeat Coursework

Federal regulations limit the number of times a student may repeat a course and receive federal financial aid for that course.

  • A student may receive federal aid when repeating a course that was previously failed, regardless of the number of times the course was attempted and failed.
  • A student may receive federal aid to repeat a previously passed course one additional time.
  • Once a student has completed any course twice with a passing grade, he/she is no longer eligible to receive federal aid for that course.
  • If a student retakes a course that is not federal aid eligible, a recalculation of aid is done to exclude the credits for the repeated course.
  • This rule applies whether or not the student received federal aid for earlier enrollments in the course.

NOTE: Federal regulations specify that students may not receive aid for repeating courses previously passed twice, even if the student is required to retake those courses as part of their program.

Withdrawal and Return of Title IV Federal Financial Aid

If you completely withdraw or stop attending all classes at SUNY New Paltz before completing more than 60% of the term, a portion of the total federal aid you received may need to be returned to the US Department of Education immediately. This process is called Return of Title IV Funds.

  • Title IV aid programs at New Paltz: Title IV of the Higher Education Act of 1965, as amended (Title IV and HEA program), establishes general rules that apply to the student financial assistance programs. For the purposes of Return of Title IV Funds, these programs include Federal Pell Grants, Federal Subsidized and Unsubsidized Direct Loans, Federal PLUS Loans, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (FSEOGs), and Federal Perkins Loans. Federal Work Study funds which have been earned will not be included.
  • Impact of withdrawing before completing at least 60% of the term: If you begin but do not complete the semester at SUNY New Paltz and receive Title IV funds, the college has to return any Title IV funds that were not earned. If you attended more than 60% of the term, all Title IV aid is considered earned and no return of funds will be required. If you, the college, or parent (on your behalf) received less assistance than the amount that you earned, you may be able to receive those additional funds.
  • Calculation of Return of Title IV Funds: The Office of Student Accounts will determine if you will receive a full or partial refund of your tuition and fees, based on the Refund Policy published in this catalog and your official withdrawal date (which is the date your withdrawal form was completed and submitted).

The Student Accounts Office also calculates the amount of financial aid you have earned prior to withdrawing. Any aid received in excess of the earned amount must be returned to the respective programs. The amount of assistance that you have earned is figured on a prorated basis. This is determined by multiplying the percentage of term attended (calculated by dividing the number of days up to the withdrawal date by the number of calendar days in the semester, including weekends and holidays but not including breaks of five days or longer) by the Title IV aid received. All types of federal aid are used in this calculation. For example, if you completed 30% of your payment period or period of enrollment, you earn 30% of the assistance you were originally scheduled to receive. Once you have completed more than 60% of the term, you earn all of the assistance that you were scheduled to receive for that period.

If you received more assistance than you earned, the excess funds must be returned by New Paltz and/or you. If you did not receive all of the funds that you earned, because the funds had not paid to your account by the time you withdrew, you may be due a post-withdrawal disbursement. If the post-withdrawal disbursement includes loan funds, you may choose to decline the loan funds so that you do not incur additional debt. 

After the amount of Title IV aid to be returned is calculated, a determination is made as to how much must be returned by SUNY New Paltz and by the student. Any funds returned by the institution are credited in the following order: Federal Unsubsidized Direct Loan, Federal Subsidized Direct Loan, Perkins, Federal PLUS Loan, Federal Pell Grant, FSEOG Grant, and other Title IV aid. If you have any loans which have been used in the calculation, this obligation will be due and payable by the terms of the promissory note. Any grant funds to be returned by you will be reduced by 50%. For example, if a calculation determines that your grant obligation is $300, the repayment will be $150.

In person at the time of withdrawal or about two weeks thereafter, Student Accounts will provide you with a statement and copy of the calculations and any money owed to the College and/or to the Federal Student Aid programs. Student Accounts will also notify you if you are eligible to receive a  post-withdrawal disbursement. You must respond within 14 days from the date of the notification to accept the post-withdrawal disbursement, or it will be canceled.

The requirements for Federal Student Aid program funds when you withdraw are separate from any refund policy the College may have. Therefore, you may still owe funds to the school to cover unpaid institutional charges. SUNY New Paltz may also charge you for any Federal Student Aid program funds that were used to pay charges and that the school was required to return.

Terms & Conditions

  • Financial eligibility is determined annually based on the results of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The FAFSA should be filed prior to March 1 each year.
  • Financial Aid recipients must be matriculated and making Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP). Please review our SAP policy.
  • Award eligibility is initially calculated based on full-time enrollment, defined as 12 or more credits per semester. Students who plan to enroll for less than 12 credits per semester must complete and submit the Part-Time Enrollment Form found on Student Financial Services' website.
  • Students selected for verification must submit all requested documentation before funds can be accepted and deducted from the semester invoice. Awards may be revised after verification has been completed if information was found to be incorrect. Students selected for verification will be notified via email. Requirements will also be posted on
  • Financial aid packages may be revised due to FAFSA corrections, changes in federal or state regulations or funding levels, enrollment status changes, or receipt of additional resources such as private scholarships or tuition waivers.
  • It is the student’s responsibility to notify the Office of Student Financial Services of outside resources, such as private scholarships. Packaging revisions may be required as aid from all sources cannot exceed the established budget. Self-help aid (loans and work study) is reduced first.
  • New York State aid, such as TAP Grant and Excelsior Scholarship, are estimated until NYS Higher Education Services Corporation (HESC) has received and processed the appropriate application and communicated a final award determination to the College. NYS funds are also subject to academic credit requirements. The application for the Excelsior Scholarship typically becomes available in mid-spring. Visit the HESC website for application and program information.
  • First-time Federal Direct Student Loan borrowers must complete Entrance Counseling and a Master Promissory Note online at Loan funds will not disburse until these electronic documents have been completed. Starting in the 2022-2023 award year, continuing borrowers will have to complete an Annual Student Loan Acknowledgement at
  • Federal Direct Student Loan amounts are determined by class level at the time of packaging. Additional credits including transfer credits may increase eligibility once final grades/transcripts are received and evaluated.
  • Parents wishing to apply for a Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students (PLUS) must complete the application process at each year after May 1. The parent will need to sign in using their Federal Student Aid (FSA) ID and password used to sign the FAFSA electronically. Once signed in, select Apply for a Direct PLUS Loan under the Parent tab. After completing the application and authorizing the credit check, the applicant will be immediately notified of the credit decision. If credit is approved, first-time borrowers will be prompted to complete the Loan Agreement (Master Promissory Note). Starting in the 2022-2023 award year, continuing borrowers will have to complete an Annual Student Loan Acknowledgement at
  • Federal Work Study awards will not appear as a credit on the invoice since funds are paid directly to students in the form of a bi-weekly paycheck. Eligible students will receive an email in August with instructions on how to access the online employment system.
  • Financial aid funds are typically calculated for an academic year with equal payments for the fall and spring semesters. After a student registers for classes, follow these steps to acknowledge your financial responsibility. Funds will appear as credits on the student’s invoice once all requirements have been met. If aid exceeds the balance due, a refund will be issued once the aid is disbursed. Excess aid may also be converted into Hawk Dollars to purchase books at the Campus Bookstore. Balances not covered by financial aid are the responsibility of the student. Payment plans are available through the Office of Student Accounts. Invoices will be generated electronically following registration.
  • Students are responsible for being aware of the financial implications of academic decisions such as withdrawing from courses, repeating coursework, changing majors, and enrolling for courses not required to meet graduation requirements. More information can be found under “Keeping Your Aid,” above and on Student Financial Services' website.
  • Course selections must be applicable to the student’s primary program of study to be eligible for coverage from federal and NYS aid programs.
  • Students are not eligible for most financial aid once degree requirements for the first major have been met. Only federal direct loans are available to earn a second degree.
  • Students are required to complete Federal Student Loan Exit Counseling at before they graduate or when they cease to be enrolled at least half-time, defined as 6 or more credits.
  • Students who withdraw officially or unofficially during a period of enrollment are subject to the federally mandated Title IV Recalculation to determine if any portion of their aid must be repaid to the government. More information can found above (see Withdrawal an Return of Title IV Federal Financial Aid or consult Student Financial Services' website.
  • Students are strongly encouraged to utilize the interactive SUNY Smart Track financial literacy software. Visit the website to create a login.
  • Students are required to monitor their campus email accounts and their accounts for important communications.

Costs and Planning

2021-2022 Cost of Attendance1

Below is the total estimate of direct billed and indirect (non-billed) costs for a full-time undergraduate student at New Paltz for one year (fall and spring). This estimated cost of attendance, also known as a 'budget,' is an estimate of what a family may spend for an academic year at New Paltz. The budget is not a bill; instead, it helps you estimate your total yearly cost and is also used for financial aid eligibility. The fall and spring billing invoices will be issued electronically by the Office of Student Accounts and will only include direct billed costs such as tuition, fees, etc., whereas the budget below includes additional expenses you may incur, such as transportation and books.

Costs for Undergraduate New York State Resident Living On or Off Campus

Costs are current as of August 2021 and are subject to change.

Cost Amount
Tuition $7,070 ($6,470 for Excelsior recipients)
Fees $1,455
Personal Expenses $1,810 (may vary by student)
Room* $9,694 (may vary by student if off-campus)
Board (meal plan)* $4,800 (may vary by student if off-campus)
Loan Fees $66
Transportation $1,060 (may vary by student)
Books and Supplies $1,500 (may vary by student)
Total for Year $27,455
Total per Semester $13,727.50

*Students living off-campus or at home will not be billed for room and board. However, student commuter meal plans are available for purchase.

Costs for Undergraduate Non-Resident Living On or Off Campus

Costs are current as of August 2021 and are subject to change.

Cost Amount
Tuition $16,980
Fees $1,455
Personal Expenses $1,810 (may vary by student)
Room* $9,694 (may vary by student if off campus)
Board (meal plan)* $4,800 (may vary by student if off campus)
Loan Fees $66
Transportation $1,060 (may vary by student)
Books and Supplies $1,500 (may vary by student)
Total for Year $37,365
Total per Semester $18,682.50

*Students living off-campus will not be billed for room and board. However, student commuter meal plans are available for purchase.

Costs for Undergraduate Commuter (Living with Parents)

Costs are current as of August 2021 and are subject to change.

Cost Amount
Tuition $7,070 ($6,470 for Excelsior recipients)
Fees $1,455
Personal Expenses $1,810 (may vary by student)
Room* $1,500 (may vary by student if off campus)
Board (meal plan)* $1,500 (may vary by student if off campus)
Loan Fees $66
Transportation $1,060 (may vary by student)
Books and Supplies $1,500 (may vary by student)
Total for Year $15,961
Total per Semester $7,980.50

*Students living at-home will not be billed for room and board. However, student commuter meal plans are available for purchase.

See also our 2021-2022 Family Financing Worksheet.

Tuition & Fees

Tuition and fees for Fall 2021 are published elsewhere in this catalog and on Student Financial Services' website.

New Paltz Time Payment Plan

The New Paltz Time Payment Plan allows you to make equal monthly payments toward the cost of tuition, fees, and on campus room and board during the Fall and Spring semesters. (The payment plan is not available during the Summer semester due to its short duration.) By utilizing the Time Payment Plan, you and your family can incorporate the cost of college into the family budget for up to five months (please refer to the enrollment deadlines below). This is not a loan. There is no interest charged. There are no hidden costs. Just add the $30.00 application fee to your initial down payment. Even if you are receiving scholarships or some financial aid, you may enroll in the Time Payment Plan. It is an easy way to pay the balance of your bill that is NOT covered by aid or other resources. As long as the amount due from you exceeds $500 for the semester, you may enroll in the Time Payment Plan for the balance.

How to Enroll

Enroll online at To calculate your budget you must begin by taking the total charges from your student invoice, then deduct any financial aid awards, such as a Stafford Loan, Unsubsidized Loan, Perkins Loan, Tuition Assistance Program (TAP), Pell Grants, private scholarships, etc. from this total. (Work Study should not be deducted.)

The amount eligible for the Time Payment Plan is limited to the semester’s balance after financial aid or any other third-party assistance is deducted and must be $500 or more.

There is a non-refundable Application Fee of $30 to participate in the Time Payment Plan. This fee is assessed for each semester of enrollment in the plan. Enrollment in the Time Payment Plan covers only the current semester; you must reapply if you would like to continue in the payment plan for future semesters.

Please refer to the due date on your invoice, as well as the payment plan enrollment deadline dates listed below, to determine the appropriate payment plan option you must use. Note that you cannot choose a payment plan option in which the enrollment deadline date has already passed.  Subsequent payments are due on the first of each month.

Payment Plan Enrollment Deadlines

(Refer to your invoice due date.)

For the Fall 2021 semester

5-month semester plan: Available until August 15
4-month semester plan: Available August 16 to September 15
3-month semester plan: Available September 16 to October 15

For the Spring 2022 semester

5-month semester plan: Available until January 15
4-month semester plan: Available January 16 to February 15
3-month semester plan: Available February 16 to March 15

Sign-up for automatic monthly payments via Discover, VISA, American Express, or MasterCard is done through students' account. The Office of Student Accounts does not have the ability to do this.

Any change in the amount due on a student's invoice during the semester will automatically adjust the amount due for each remaining payment in the Time Payment Plan. Changes to a New Paltz Time Payment Plan can be viewed in the student's account. Please contact the Office of Student Accounts via e-mail at or by phone at (845) 257-3150 with questions.

Financial Literacy

SUNY Smart Track

SUNY Smart Track is an online learning environment that empowers students and their families for a lifetime of success. With an emphasis on financial literacy education and default-prevention services, Smart Track is designed to help you every step of the way – from the moment you apply to New Paltz and continuing beyond graduation. Create a login today at Smart Track.

Credit Scores

After graduation, you'll want to make timely payments on your student loans because your credit score can affect you in more ways than you realize! See the Federal Reserve System resource Credit Reports and Credit Scores to learn about the importance of credit reports, who may look at your credit score, what impact this can have on you, and more.

Avoiding Scams

Before applying for financial aid, learn how to spot potential fraud and prevent identity theft. Visit Avoiding Student Aid Scams at, and check out Student Financial Services' 10 Tips on How to Avoid Getting Scammed.

Loan Payments

If you have any questions about your federal loans do not hesitate to contact your servicer. They have been contracted by the Department of Education to help you! You can ask them questions about repayment, the various payment plans, interest, etc. Also, if you are having a hard time making your payments after graduation, you'll want to contact them to discuss it. There may be options for you so that you can avoid ruining your credit with late or skipped loan payments!

Do you know who your loan servicers are? If not, visit and click "Manage Loans" at the top of the page.

Net Price Calculator

Tax Benefits

There's great news for parents and students: the federal government provides a number of tax incentives that can help defray the cost of higher education. These incentives come in a couple of forms:

  1. tax credits, which directly reduce the amount of tax you are liable for; and
  2. tax deductions, which reduce the amount of income on which you pay taxes.

Our annual guide to federal tax benefits for higher education gives you an overview of all the options that may be available to you.

Resources for the current tax year (2020):

For more information on tax benefits, Coverdell Accounts, 529 Plans and IRA withdrawals, visit Federal Student Aid's website.

Special Circumstances

A special circumstance appeal is a way for students and families to communicate changes in household income and resources that are not reflected on the FAFSA. Special circumstances are those that are very extenuating and beyond the family's control. They are not a comparison of scholarships offered by other schools or an appeal for merit aid. Eligible circumstances may include:

  • involuntary loss of employment or income
  • legal separation or divorce
  • death of parent or spouse
  • substantial medical or dental expenses you paid that were not covered by insurance
  • one-time lump-sum payments

If you meet one of the above criteria or have other significant financial circumstances that are not reflected on the FAFSA, you are welcome to submit an appeal for review. Although all appeals will not result in additional funding, we will keep all appeals on file for further consideration as funding permits.

How to File an Appeal

  1. File a 2021-2022 FAFSA
  2. Be an accepted student at SUNY New Paltz
  3. Submit the 2021-2022 Special Circumstance Form along with a detailed cover letter and supporting documentation by December 31, 2021. Please note that this form is also applicable to circumstances related to the COVID-19 crisis.

What Happens Next?

The appeal process takes approximately four weeks to complete and does not extend the payment deadline. Students must make payment arrangements with the Office of Student Accounts prior to billing deadlines. All decisions made by the Office of Student Financial Services are final and will be communicated to the student electronically. Not all appeals will result in a change to financial aid packages. Additionally, special circumstance appeals only apply towards federal or institutional aid and will not result in a change of state aid eligibility (i.e., TAP Grants, SUNY Tuition Credit, or the Excelsior Scholarship). While appeals processed by the Office of Student Financial Services do not determine your eligibility for NYS aid, please be aware that an increase in certain grants could impact any NYS Excelsior funding you may receive.

Other options to assist with payment

In addition to the scholarships, loans, payment plan, and tax benefits/credits outlined above, these special funds are described on Student Financial Services' website:

  • Student Crisis Fund
  • College Council Student Retention Fund
  • Crossing the Finish Line Fund
  • Karen Krause Brody and Dr. Steven Brody Scholarship Fund

Student Rights & Responsibilities

Education after high school costs you time, money, and effort. It is a big investment and you should carefully evaluate the school(s) you are considering. To help you make an educated choice, you should have information on the school’s academic programs, facilities, cost of education, refund policy, and financial aid programs.

You have the right to ask a school:

  • The names of its accrediting and licensing organizations. You also have the right to ask for a copy of the documents describing the institution’s accreditation or licensing.
  • About its programs, its instructional, laboratory and other physical facilities, and its faculty.
  • About its completion and transfer-out rates.
  • If it advertises its job placement rates as a means of attracting students and what information it has to back up its claims.
  • What the cost of attending is, what it is composed of, and what the policy is on refunds to students who drop out.
  • What financial assistance is available, including information on all federal, state, local, private, and institutional financial aid programs.
  • Who its financial aid personnel are, where they are located, how to contact them for information, and what the counseling procedures are.
  • What the procedures and deadlines are for submitting applications for each available financial aid program.
  • How it selects financial aid recipients.
  • How it determines your financial need. This process includes how costs for tuition and fees, room and board, travel, books and supplies, and personal and miscellaneous expenses are considered in your cost of education. It also includes the resources considered in calculating your need (such as parental contribution, other financial aid, assets, etc.).
  • How much of your financial need, as determined by the school, has been met.
  • How and when you will receive your financial aid.
  • To explain each type and amount of assistance in your financial aid package.
  • What the interest rate is on any student loan you have, the total amount you must repay, the length of time you have to repay, when you must start repaying, and what cancellation or deferment (postponement) provisions apply.
  • If you are offered a Federal College Work-Study job, what kind of job it is, what hours you must work, what your duties will be, what the rate of pay will be, and how and when you will be paid.
  • About its loan default rates.
  • For a copy of its campus security report.
  • How the school determines whether you are making satisfactory academic progress, and what happens if you are not.
  • To reconsider your aid package if you believe a mistake has been made, or if your enrollment or financial circumstances have changed.
  • What special facilities and services are available to the disabled.

It is your responsibility to:

  • Know which course(s) apply to your degree.
  • Review and consider all information about a school’s program before you enroll.
  • Pay special attention to your application for student financial aid, complete it accurately, and submit it on time to the right place. Errors can delay or prevent your receiving aid.
  • Know all the deadlines for applying or reapplying for aid, and meet them.
  • Provide all documentation, corrections, and/or new information requested by either the financial aid office or the agency to which you submitted your application.
  • Notify your school of any information that has changed since you applied for financial aid.
  • Read, understand, and keep copies of all forms you are asked to sign.
  • Be aware of and meet any of the terms of an award that you may accept, including maintaining Satisfactory Academic Progress.
  • Repay any student loans you have. When you sign a promissory note, you are agreeing to repay your loan.
  • Conduct a pre-loan and an exit interview at your school if you have a Federal Perkins Loan, Federal Nursing Loan, Federal Stafford Loan (subsidized or unsubsidized), Federal PLUS or Parent’s Loan, or any type of federal loan.
  • Notify your school of a change in your name, address, or attendance status (half-time, three-quarter time, or full-time). If you have a loan, you must also notify your lender of these changes.
  • Satisfactorily perform the work agreed upon in a Federal College Work-Study job, if you have one.
  • Understand your school’s refund policy. If you drop out of school within a short time after you start, you may be able to get a part of your education expenses returned to you, but after a certain date, you will not get any money back. Check with your school to find out what expenses you may have to pay if you drop.

Additional Resources

The Office of Student Financial Services offers these additional resources:

FAQ: Frequently Asked Questions

FAQ: Frequently Asked Questions for Parents

Financial Aid Advising Guide

Financial Aid Checklist

Presentations and Videos related to Financial Aid topics

Veterans & Military Financial Aid