• SUNY New Paltz will accept a maximum of 70 credits from an accredited two-year college and a maximum of 90 credits from an accredited four-year college or university.
  • A maximum of 15 non-liberal arts credits may be awarded for coursework taken within government agencies, industry, the Armed Services or other non-collegiate settings. A request for review of such coursework should be submitted to the Office of Undergraduate Admission, along with appropriate documentation (e.g., course/program syllabus; Joint Services Transcript, etc.).
  • SUNY New Paltz does not award life-experience credit.

"Seamless Transfer" within SUNY :

  • Students with a SUNY A.A. or A.S. degree who are accepted into a parallel baccalaureate program at New Paltz and who have successfully completed the SUNY General Education Requirement (GER) and the appropriate transfer-path courses benefit from SUNY's transfer-friendly policies. Such students will be afforded true junior standing and the opportunity to complete the requirements for a bachelor's degree within four additional semesters of full-time study or the equivalent.
  • Transfer of credit for SUNY-GER courses is guaranteed if a course is successfully completed with a grade of C or above.
  • SUNY transfer-path courses are guaranteed to transfer as courses in the major or as required cognates if completed with a grade of C or better. (Note that courses with a grade of C- may be eligible for transfer toward the major or required cognates, at the discretion of the appropriate academic department.)
  • Courses other than transfer-path and SUNY-GER courses may be eligible for transfer credit toward the major with a grade of C- or better, at the discretion of the academic department concerned.

Transfer students with questions about how their credits are applied or who wish to petition for transfer credits to count toward General Education or major/minor requirements, may consult the Academic Advising Center. Information about transfer credit equivalencies is available from the Office of Undergraduate Admission.

Transferring from outside SUNY: All courses with a grade of C- or better are eligible for transfer; however, each academic department reserves the right to determine the transferability of coursework that relates to a student's major.

Submitting transcripts and score reports for transfer credit

Students are responsible for requesting transcripts and scores; these documents are not automatically sent from the prior school or testing center. (Note the submission deadline indicated below.) Students are also responsible for monitoring their records to see that credits have been received.

All newly matriculated students (freshmen and transfers) must submit to the Office of Undergraduate Admission all final, official college transcripts, AP exam scores, IB exam scores, CLEP exam scores, and other pertinent collegiate coursework no later than the first day of classes of the first semester at SUNY New Paltz. Pre-matriculation transfer credits and/or course waivers may not be accepted beyond this date.

In addition, students who transfer New Paltz courses back to their community college to earn an A.A. or A.S. degree are not eligible to have the number of GE waivers changed.

Transfer Credits Post-Matriculation

Permission must be received in writing from a chair or the Academic Advising Center, in advance of taking the course, for a matriculated student to receive transfer credit at New Paltz. A grade of C- or better must be earned in the course to receive credit. Only the credits, not the grades, will transfer. The last 15 credits must be taken in residence. If there are compelling reasons to take some of the final 15 credits at another institution, a request for a waiver should be made to the Dean of the student's major college.  The student is responsible for having the official transcript sent to Records & Registration when the course(s) is/are completed. 

Permission to take courses to meet general degree requirements (total credits, general education courses, upper division and liberal arts credits) is given by the Academic Advising Center. To be acceptable, a course must be a liberal arts and sciences course aligned with the disciplines currently taught at New Paltz. Permission is not generally granted during the academic year if space in a suitable course is available at New Paltz. Upper-division students are generally expected to take upper-division courses. In addition, students who wish to take courses to meet general degree requirements in professional programs such as business, communication disorders, education, engineering, and nursing, must receive approval from the Dean of the appropriate school. Cross-registration, which is a specific way of taking transfer credits post-matriculation, also must conform to this policy.

Permission to take courses in the major (including prerequisite and cognate courses for the major) must be approved by the appropriate department chair.